Ayurveda as a science is centuries old and is entirely based on the principle of balancing the doshas. From the perspective of Ayurveda, anxiety and stress are caused by an imbalance in Vata Dosha.
An excess of Vata affects the channel of the mind, the Mano vaha srota, which implies that you have a windy mind. Any ayurvedic treatment focuses on balancing the Vata dosha as that would bring more peace and calm to the mind.
Common Tips and Tricks to help relieve stress and anxiety
- Practice Shirodhara: Shirodhara comes from the Sanskrit words Shiro(head) and dhara(flow). In this Ayurvedic Treatment for Stress and Anxiety, warm oil is poured over the forehead, and that is what gives a soothing effect to the nervous system. This therapy is also known to promote healthy blood circulation, and if some specific herbs is added to it, they help in case of chronic stress, insomnia, anxiety, migraines, etc. Shirodhara enables the body and mind to relax at a deeper level. Several studies have shown that Shirodhara leads to a state of calmness, and that is pretty similar to the relaxation response observed in mediation.
- Diet: Ayurveda aims at reducing inflammation and diet modifications by correcting your diet. According to Ayurveda, every single body is different and has different Prakriti. So, you should eat according to your own Prakriti. You should follow a diet plan that is specifically designed for your body and lifestyle habits. For this, we recommend, you consult an expert in Ayurveda and he/she will get your individual analysis done.
Ayurvedic Herbs that can help reduce stress and anxiety
Some of the common herbs that can help this condition are:
- Brahmi: Brahmi has wide applications and is well-known for reducing stress and anxiety. This herb also plays a significant role in reducing cortisol levels, the stress hormone. When it comes to Ayurvedic Treatment for Stress and Anxiety, Brahmi is simply a bliss that enhances your concentration, promotes great memory, and revitalizes the brain cells thereby leaving a soothing effect on the nervous system.
- Jatamasi: This is a powerful anti-fatigue and anti-stress herb that is also used in the treatment of insomnia. The roots of Jatamasi are known for their therapeutic effects and this is what plays a deciding role in reducing stress and calming the mind.
- Gotu Kola: This herb acts as a sedative and works well for stress and anxiety. It not only calms the mind but also acts as a memory enhancer. This is a powerful Medhya Rasayana that nurtures dhi, dhriti, and smriti and also their coordination.
- Pearls: This herb is also a good Ayurvedic Treatment for Stress and Anxiety. These are associated with mental clarity and calmness of mind.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Insomnia
- Abyhanga: Oil massage is what we call in Ayurveda “Abhyanga”. Sesame oil is the base oil that is used for this Ayurvedic Treatment for Insomnia. Normally, an ayurvedic practitioner applies this oil all over your body. During application, the oil is mixed with some special herbs that are aimed at targeting insomnia. This oil massage helps to settle Vata imbalances.
- Nasya: Nasya oil is known to relieve several conditions, and insomnia is no exception. This oil helps balance Vata, Kapha, and Pitta doshas. Daily lubrication with the nasal oil relieves tension and releases built-up stress, thereby improving mental clarity. All you need to do is to place 3 to 5 drops in the nostrils and sniff the oil. This is considered one of the most effective herbs when it comes to Ayurvedic Treatment for Insomnia.
- Panchakarma: Another way for relishing a natural sleep without the need to take sleeping pills is to take Panchakarma. This Ayurvedic Treatment for Insomnia is highly recommended by holistic medicine practitioners. This treatment acts as a healing detoxification method to help with insomnia and other similar ailments.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is an ancient herbal remedy that has been in use for over a thousand years in Ashwagandha medicine. Sleep is induced by an active compound called Triethylene glycol present in this holistic medicine.
- Tagara: Tagara, also known as Valeriani Wallichilli, is given to patients for sleep deprivation and other ailments. One of the main benefits of this ayurvedic herb is that it can help with insomnia. According to holistic herbologists, the plant targets the neurological and psychological systems. And this is what makes this an effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Insomnia.
Yashtimadhu: A regular intake of Yashtimadhu is believed to improve and also cure insomnia. The herb is known to improve one’s moods, hormonal and energy levels, and the Central Nervous System. Once you start taking it on a daily basis, you will start feeling the difference. The body and mind will produce more natural energy and you will feel more