Pleated skirts can be worn with any fashion trend or to create classic, timeless outfits. Find styling tips to incorporate a pleated skirt in a variety of looks for every body type.
What is a Pleated Skirt?
Pleated skirts are garments with vertical creases in Fashion Ensure fabric (called pleats). They add body and shape to the skirt. Pleats can be created by folding the cloth over twice and sewing or ironing the fold in place to form a permanent crease.
There are many types of pleated skirts available, including box pleats and knife pleats. Sunray-pleated skirts have many narrow pleats that gradually increase in width at the bottom. This creates a flowing and flared appearance. Box-pleated skirts only have a few large pleats. Pleated skirts are available in many lengths and fabrics, including mini, maxi, and midi.
How to Style a Pleated Skirt for Daytime: 5 Looks
A pleated skirt can be styled with different blouses or accessories to create an informal business look or casual day look. These fashion ideas can be used for casual street style or office attire.
- Monochromatic looks are possible. For a stylish monochrome look, match your skirt with your top. Wear your navy pleated skirt with an oversized turtleneck or a white blouse and a white skirt.
- Layer with a pullover sweater. Layer a knitted oversized sweater with a pleated maxi skirt to create a casual, winter- or fall look. The sweater can be worn over a skirt or tucked into the skirt. You can also style it with a belt around your waist. To add warmth, you can wear tights or knee-high boots over your legs.
- Tuck in a T.shirt. A T-shirt can be worn with your pleated skirt for a casual, easy look. You can either tuck the ends of loose T-shirts into your skirt or wear a cropped, graphic shirt above your waistline. This look can be completed with white sneakers and a denim jacket.
- Add a blazer to your look. For a business casual look, pair an oversized jacket with a pleated skirt. A solid pleated skirt and a floral or plaid blazer are two options. Add some ankle boots to complete the look.
- Wear it with a button-down top. For a Especially Style business casual look, style a pleated skirt with a white button down shirt. The button-down can be tucked into the skirt. Finish the look with faux leather booties or a trench coat.
4 Evening Pleated Skirt Outfits
These outfits can be worn as a formal look with a pleated skirt or for a date night.
- Layer with a leather jacket. You can wear a leather jacket for many different looks, or layer it with another piece. A leather jacket can be paired with a mini skirt with pleats to make a stylish outfit that is perfect for dinner parties or just casual occasions.
- Use patterns. Add dimension to your outfit by using patterns. Wear a pleated skirt in floral or leopard print with heels to make a fashion statement. You can create balance by pairing a plain white top or black top with your printed skirt.
- Wear an off-the shoulder top to complete the look. An off-the-shoulder blouse can transform casual looks into chic fashion statements. A long skirt and an off-the shoulder blouse can create a nighttime look that you can wear to different events. You can add warmth by wearing a cardigan on your shoulders, or a shawl.
- Wear a lace top. For a sophisticated date night look, pair a fitted lace top with a pleated skirt. For a romantic look, use pastel colors such as pale pink, light blue, and lavender. Pair dark tones such as dark purple, emerald, and maroon with a black top.