Cricut machines are every DIYer and crafter’s delight. From creating labels, cards, cut-outs to decorative art, these smart cutting machines help you uncover unlimited possibilities, and delve deep into your hidden creativity. But it’s not as simple as it sounds. To tap into the full potential of these machines, you need to master a few basics, and let your imagination run wild. If you’re new to the world of Cricut machines and don’t know where to start, we’ve got just the thing for you. Before you attempt to take on more ambitious projects using your Cricut machine, we highly recommend that you start small, and slowly build your way up. How, you ask?
First, invest in a Cricut Joy Machine, a smaller and more compact version of its other high-end counterparts. Next, start with learning how to make basic shapes, and move on to custom shapes. This is where it gets tricky. Thankfully, we’re here to let you in on all the secrets to making custom shapes on your Cricut machine.
Check out these fun custom-shaped cut outs you can make with this method:
What you need before getting started?
- A Cricut Joy Cutting Machine: This is the most portable and easiest to use Cricut machine. We highly recommend beginners get started with this and work their way up to the larger models. Purchase this here at AED 799.
- Install Cricut Design Space: This is Cricut’s own software and is a must to operate any Cricut machine. There are versions for PC as well as iOS. (FREE)
How to get started?
Whether you’re making decals, personalized greeting cards, labels or infusible ink projects, knowing how to make your own custom shapes can help you go from creating something good to something toop-notch. Without further ado, let’s dive right in.
- Prep your design: You can use .jmp, .gif, .png, .bmp, .svg, or .dxf files to upload your design onto the software. You can make or find a file that you wish to use. If you’re not a master at using Illustrator or other tools, try your hand at Canva. It’s one of the easiest online tools available that you can use to help you create your design.
- Go to Design Space: It’s ideal to use Design Space on the web or download the app on your computer. The computer’s larger size makes it easier to focus on the smallest details. You can also use the iOS app on your iPhone if you wish.
- Select ‘New Project’
- Click on ‘Upload’
- Drag and drop your .png or .svg file into the space or click on ‘Browse’ to find the desired image on your system.
- You can add a file name, and also tags if required.
- Click ‘Save’ and voila, your file is ready to use.
- Next, insert the uploaded image into your project. To do this, select it from the ‘Recently Uploaded’ image section to add to your project. Click the image, and click on the ‘Insert Images’ button at the bottom of the screen.
- Sizing: Next you need to size your image for the project. Change the size of the shape using the Size options in the toolbar menu. Or use the blue arrow resizing button at the bottom right corner of the image for resizing.
- If you need multiples, duplicate the shape as many times as you need to fill the project sheet.
- Time for cutting: Once you’re happy with the number of shapes and how it looks on your project, it’s time for the fun part – cutting! Click on ‘Make It’
- Organize all the items in your mat so that they fit in the cut area. Click and drag to highlight all the objects and select ‘Attach’ on the bottom of the right panel in Design Space. This will ensure the software keeps the objects grouped and cuts on the same sheet.
- Click ‘Continue’, and you will see several options. For the purpose of this tutorial, let’s say we select material as ‘Cardstock’
- Attach your paper to the Cricut green mat and load it into the Cricut Joy Machine. Press the Cricut Go button on the machine
Voila, unload your mat, and now you have your custom shape cut out on cardstock. It’s as simple as that. From funky animal shapes to stylized letters, you can create just about anything using this method, and add a creative touch to your craft project. As you go along, you can create more intricate structures and shapes, and master the art of Cricuting as we like to call it. So, what do you think? It’s fun and when you actually get down to it, it’s quite simple to use a Cricut Joy Machine. Let your imagination run wild and create stickers, labels, cards and much more today!